As part of promoting student readiness for postsecondary education, the Institute for Public School Initiatives provides direct services and support to students related to high school course planning, college preparation, financial aid, academic success, and career exploration. College preparation advisors do this through individual advising sessions with students as well as through high-quality awareness and readiness programs, events, and activities. They also provide mentoring and tutoring support to students along with the following specific services:
- Plan and lead college tours, job site visits, and job shadowing opportunities
- Assist students with graduation plans
- Provide presentations on financial literacy
- Help students research, identify, and apply for scholarships as well as summer leadership opportunities
- Assist students with test preparation
- Provide workshops on soft skills necessary for college and the workplace such as time management and study skills
- Track student experiences and growth, including monitoring students’ course enrollment and extracurricular involvement
- Create collaborations and contribute to building and maintaining a college-going culture in the school
As part of GEAR UP, we’ve facilitated several direct student services such as job shadowing, job site visits, and college tours.
To College and Beyond Podcast
This podcast (available at iTunes or Soundcloud) examines the multifaceted world of college and career readiness. You can join host Michael King as he investigates with other educators and professionals what it means for our students to truly be “college and career ready.” You can download new episodes every two weeks.